Total Pageviews

Friday, September 30, 2011

Konik Nowy

Literally translated, I am told this title means "new horse". This is also the name of the pet cemetery that has the remains of my beloved Bazyl.

I am choosing to write about this place today because last week we went to visit Bazyl's grave. The first time I went there, I thought it was a pretty cool place. This time, I feel it is an amazing place. I cannot fully describe this final resting place of pets of all kinds.  When one goes to it, one has to drive approximately 20 minutes outside of Warsaw, take a strange turn near a gas station, and then drive around the back part of a cement block storage yard. The road that leads to the cemetery is in desperate need of repair.

Once there, a new world appears. On what appears to be a very large patch of open land in the middle of the forest is a cemetery that is so bright and colorful it is somewhat unnerving. There are hundreds of little graves with balloons, streamers, pictures, doggy bones and plastic wind mills. There is sand and trees and bugs and the smell of the forest. There is a joy in experiencing this that I cannot describe. It really does make one feel joyous and happy ... just as these pets did for their owners.

I somehow feel that we could learn a lot about how our cemeteries could be a place for a joyful visit. The memories of our loved ones should be a place of positivity and hope and warming memories. I want to feel that the person (or pet) I am visiting is as happy to see me as I am to see him or her.

When I die, bury me with fond memories ... and balloons, streamers and colors all around my grave.


No comments:

Post a Comment